Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Food You Crave: Balsamic Chicken with Spinach and Cous Cous

I love watching Ellie Krieger on the Food Network. Ok, I like watching anything on that channel, but I particularly appreciate her healthy yet non-restrictive approach to cooking and eating. So, I decided to get her cookbook. I have a compulsive disease that drives me to buy cookbooks when I barely even use those I already have! It's terrible! My new years resolution is to scour my existing collection for recipes and quit buying new ones! Anyways, I digress...

I cooked this for dinner tonight in our new kitchen while listening to the "Somethings Gotta Give" soundtrack (mostly French music) and felt very gourmet :) Below is the recipe. This probably took me 20 minutes to prepare and is a great, healthy way to kick off the new year :) Apologies in advance for the lack of a picture...

Enjoy!


Ingredients:

3 T. olive oil

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

1/4 t. salt, plus more to taste

pepper to taste

3 cloves garlic, chopped

8 oz. baby spinach

2 T. balsamic vinegar

1/2 C. low sodium chicken broth

1 cup canned diced tomatoes, with their juices

2 cups hot cooked cous cous (preferably whole wheat) *I added pine nuts to mine- it was delish



1. Heat 1T. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook until browned and just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.

2. Add 2T. oil to the pan and add the garlic. Cook for one minute. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl.

3. Add the vinegar, broth, and tomatoes to the pan and stir, scraping any browned bits off the bottom. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened.

4. Divide the cous cous between 4 serving plates. Top with some of the spinach, then a piece of chicken and the balsamic-tomato sauce and serve.

No comments:

© Living the Good Life. Powered by