Monday, December 8, 2008

Fake Bake

I wish I could take credit for this recipe but I cannot- that goes to Katie over at goodthingscatered.blogspot.com. Katie is a genius cook who makes up most of the recipes on her blog herself, which in itself is impressive. What is even more staggering is that they are all delicious! I have yet to try one I didn't like.



Tonight I made her fresh cranberry orange cookies. They are delicious! Now, I have a lot to learn when it comes to baking. Baking, unlike cooking, takes exact measurements and patience- two things that I don't always excel at. I prefer to wing it and not follow a recipe down to the exact details, which might explain why my cookies didn't come out nearly as pretty as Katie's. Therefore, I've posted her picture, as mine were overdone and a tiny bit too thin. I can assure you this did not affect the taste as I've already eaten two...with a bowl of salad for dinner...now that is what I call balance:)

Here is the recipe copied directly from her website.

Fresh Cranberry Orange Cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
1/4 c. brown sugar, packed
1 c. granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp grated orange zest
juice of 1/2 orange
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. chopped fresh cranberries (I used a food processor and pulsed about 8-10 times)

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment.
-In medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, and whisk; set aside.
-In bowl of stand mixer, combine butter and sugars and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
-Add yolk and beat until fully incorporated.
-Add orange juice, then zest and vanilla and beat until fully incorporated.
-Turn mixer to low speed, add flour mixture and beat until just incorporated.
-Remove bowl from mixer, stir in cranberries, and place 1 Tbsp rounds of dough onto cookie sheets.
-Place cookies in the oven and bake, switching baking sheet positions half way through baking time, for 12-14 minutes (they should not brown)
-Remove from oven and let cool on pans completely, about 10-15 minutes.

Makes about 18 very generous Tbsp-sized cookies

Enjoy!

No comments:

© Living the Good Life. Powered by