Monday, May 14, 2012

Bring it, thirties

Thirty is one of those birthdays that feels like it should really be commemorated. Like twenty one, only with less alcohol and slightly more self respect. It's the beginning of an era that, I'm told, is full of self assurance and stability.

Aside from my girl's trip to NYC (otherwise known as spring break 2012) I decided that it was time I start taking better care of myself. We've all seen the tanning mom on tv and I think we know that's not our end goal 20 years from now. Not that I tan, but I think we can all agree that her face has become a sad illustration of years of mistreatment.

Enter my arsenal. The products I've been using on my face to prevent evidence of prior abuse (or spring breaks, ahem) and further preventative maintenance.

There is no question I have been blessed with my mother's skin and I don't weigh this blessing lightly. My skin rarely breaks out, it's evenly toned, and my mom has often been confused for my sister (big boost for her, weird old feeling for me). That being said, I am noticing my pores getting bigger as I age and have stolen a glance or two in the mirror at some new lines popping up around my mouth and eyes.

I thought sharing what has been working well for me might be helpful for others.

1. I wash with Cetaphil twice a day. It's mild and creamy and works well. And it's cheap. And I can buy a jumbo pack at Costco that literally lasts us an entire year which thrills me to no end.

2. In the morning I use Kiehl's ultra facial moisturizer with SPF. I have mixed feelings about this product- I like that it's light and isn't scented, but I feel like I could find a comparable product for less money. It hasn't blown me away, but as a long time fan of Kiehl's products I wanted to try it. When it's gone I'll probably go back to using Avalon Organics which is wonderful and makes me smell like a delicious orange grove.

3. At night after I wash I use this Boots expert sensitive hydrating serum. I've read about the benefits of serum for a long time so I thought it was high time to try one. I love this product- the consistency is perfect. I use this all over with special attention to "problem areas." I found this at Target and was intrigued after reading about the line on Goop and it has not disappointed.

4. After the serum I use Boots expert sensitive hydrating moisturizer. Again, love this. Nice and creamy and makes my skin super soft.

5. Lastly, I bust out the big guns: Kiehl's midnight recovery eye. This is for where I see wrinkles and where I want to prevent wrinkles. A little goes a long way. Worth every dollar.

The way I see it, I only get one face. And I have to look at it every single day for the rest of my life. I might as well do what I can to preserve it! Also- and this is important- don't forget your neck! No one wants a nice young face and a saggy wrinkly neck. The end.

* Yes, I buy everything on Amazon because I am too lazy to constantly run to the store.
**I also believe that wine helps prevent skin aging and don't you dare try and tell me otherwise.

No comments:

© Living the Good Life. Powered by