Monday, April 6, 2009

Life: 9 Months Pregnant

As I venture into the second half of my 37th week of pregnancy I thought I'd share a few observations about third-trimester joys and obstacles :)

- I am constantly hungry. Constantly. Therefore, I'm eating every 2 1/2 hours or so. It absolutely amazes me I haven't gained more weight, but I guess that just means Madelyn is eating more! Considering at this point I figure I have a 7 1/2 pound baby in there, that would make sense.
- On the subject of eating, I've really loosened the healthy-eating strings lately and indulged in several dinners of small Dairy Queen Blizzards or movie popcorn. Her poor arteries are probably already clogging. I have also taken to eating peanut butter straight out of the jar, which doesn't surprise me given that I've always loved peanut butter and my mom ate a great deal of it while pregnant with me. And carbs- I eat A LOT of carbs. Yum.
- It really helps if Matt can pull me up off the couch instead of having to get up myself. You'd be amazed how much effort it takes to hoist yourself up with 20 or so pounds of belly in front of you. It's not so much pregnancy-induced laziness as it is just a general lack of mobility.
- If I'm outside and it's humid my wedding rings barely fit my fingers. I am really hoping they can just hold out a few more weeks.
- The pregnancy waddle is not flattering- I see myself in the mirror and I want to stop it but I cant. If it felt like a head was about to fall out of your unmentionables you'd waddle too.
- I spend a lot of time just sitting in Madelyn's nursery with Cooper soaking it all in and mentally memorizing where everything is so when it's 3 a.m. and I'm stumbling around in the dark I won't risk injury.
- I really wish Matt got to experience the feeling of an elbow or foot poking his insides, not because it's uncomfortable (which if often is) but because it's so cool! To make up for his inability to do this I constantly make him feel said elbow or foot sticking out of the side of my stomach.
- Being pregnant has been much easier than I anticipated. I realize this is not the case for everyone, but it's very hard to complain when you think about the absolute miracle that is taking place. I don't even mind the aches and pains to be honest, or the massive amount of fatigue- it's frustrating not being able to finish everything you want to in a day for lack of energy, but the sooner I get used to it the better!
- Strangely, I am really looking forward to being able to work out again. I realize it's going to be a bit before I'll be out jogging again, but I am excited about the prospect.
- Lastly, it's amazing how being pregnant puts everything else in life into perspective. Matt and I have been so blessed and I can't believe we're so lucky that we're about to have this little girl completely take over our lives. Remembering that instantly makes every other petty worry seem very insignificant :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A great quote by Maureen Hawkins:

"Before you were conceived I wanted you
Before you were born I loved you
Before you were here an hour I would die for you
This is the miracle of life"

© Living the Good Life. Powered by