Friday, December 17, 2010

My nemesis


Approximately three years ago I received a wedding gift in the form of a cuisinart. I thought with this new apparatus I was well on my way to unlocking the domestic genious within. I was going to shred, chop, and puree my way into my husband's heart. Every time he saw that blessed tool on the counter he'd know something tasty was about to be revealed.

Now, three years later, I have yet to even take that little guy out of the box.

In fact, I'm downright scared of it. Kind of like the first time I bought mango. It's fear of the unknown. With the mango I didn't know how to cut it or what to do with it once I did, and for years I avoided recipes including this ingredient (mango salsa, salmon with mango rice, many very delicious things) because I felt inadequately prepared to handle it. Kind of how I feel about my cuisinart. When I see that a recipe involves the use of this tool I immediately flip the page and move on.

I'm not sure what it is. I mean, it's an inanimate object for crying out loud. I think partially I just see all of those little parts and don't want to try and figure out how to assemble, disassemble, and then let's be honest, CLEAN all of those tiny separate pieces. And I don't want to take the time to learn it, which is just plain laziness.
But not this year. 2011 is the year of the cuisinart. No longer will I subject myself to carpal tunnel from chopping every.single.ingredient for guacamole, or resist making delicious soups because I have puree-a-phobia. Me and my Cuizy are finally going to become BFFs. After all, it's been three years in the making.

5 comments:

Celia said...

I am JEALOUS of your Cuisinart and I am thinking that once you break that bad boy out of the box you're gonna LOVE IT! Hope you get some GREAT food out of it :-) It's on my Christmas list this year!

Kristin said...

I could have wrote this exact post. The blades scare the crap out of me. When you figure it out let me know your secrets.

Kristin said...

Are you kidding me? Do I know you? Come over for a lesson. Your life will be changed. I love my food processor as much as my stick blender and my Kitchenaid mixer... and that's a lot!

Jenn said...

Sounds like me and that $300 Kitchen Aid mixer that was a wedding gift. At first it was proudly displayed on the counter, "Like, hey everyone look at me...I'm expensive and I am used to make homemade goodness." After a year of never ever turning it on, it started stare and judge me. "Jennifer, you know your Aunt spent $300 on me, wtf is wrong with you, get out some flour and sugar and BAKE!!!!"

I am happy to report that my beautiful kitchen aid mixer is now stuffed under a cabinet and I continue to enjoy store bought goodness and eat it feeling only the judgement of my own self. My mixer can kiss my butt. Who is it to judge?

Lisa @ lists in my pocket said...

I will join you in this challenge! Assuming it's under the Christmas tree of course. ;) I think once we learn to master it we won't know what to do without it.

© Living the Good Life. Powered by