Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Giving Back

I said a while back that I was going to start doing at least one good deed a week. It didn't have to be big, just something nice and selfless, for someone else. I've tried to do little things here and there, but nothing substantial yet. So I decided today was the day :)

I did some research online and found a local women's shelter who's offices are literally less than a mile from my house. The organization is called Promise Place, and they offer services to women and their children who are being victims of domestic abuse. This cause really touched my heart because I just can't stand the thought of a child being in that kind of environment. I can't even imagine the life-long effects it has on them and their ability to have normal relationships with people.

Today during my lunch break I'm going to run up there and drop off all of the baby formula we have that we can't use (three bags worth!), diapers that no longer fit, as well as a huge bag of clothes. While I'm at the grocery store this week I'm also going to pick up some extra food to take over there, because I know they can always use that when feeding little hungry mouths.

I'm really excited to help this organization not only because I truly believe in helping people who want to help themselves, but also because it's local, and helping people right here in our own community. It's very easy to forgot how overwhelmingly blessed we all are and how important it is to help those around us who are fighting battles everyday that they can't control and didn't ask for.

Please keep these women in your thoughts and prayers and think about helping an organization in your neighborhood. I know with these economic conditions they can use our help now more than ever.

No comments:

© Living the Good Life. Powered by